Saturday 24 August 2024

Making money while wasting energy



 So, I got solar panels installed on my house's roof a while ago and since we do have power exchange, sometimes price of the energy is negative, which means if I produce more than I consume electricity I am paying for the energy that is fed to the grid. 

Most of the time I can just run my water heater at that time or charge my many power tool batteries, but some days the price of electricity is a whole day negative and sun is still shining and you just can heat up water so much, that there still is left over energy.

So, I did use my many computers back in the days for sharing my idling internet connection and made some money out of it, due those computers being laptops which doesn't consume that much electricity that it made it worth it, but using those laptops now would be kind of points less since they don't consume that much electricity. Although my main computer which is 2013 Mac Pro and I still have my old 2010 Mac Pro, do consume quite much energy when working hard. 

Early 2000 I started to use SETI@home and I run it a quite long time, couple of years at least. Then I started BOINC a few years later when it kind of replaced SETI@home. Now, those are non profit, where you share your computing power, when you don't use your computer.

Cryptomining would have been on my mind, as I did when BTC was new and worthless... Yeah, If I could go back in time and tell one thing to younger me, it would be that keep mining and don't sell until the price is over $50,000. But now days it ain't worth the time if you don't have special equipment for mining crypto and that consumes away too much of energy, which isn't the point.

I just need to consume that extra electricity that I produce on my roof, that I can't consume.

I'll be checking in for sites that pay for sharing my idling computing power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Considering dropshipping?

Dropshipping is a retail fulfillment method where a store doesn’t keep the products it sells in stock. Instead, when a customer places an or...